Our Portland Attorneys Fight Sex Discrimination
Oregon lawyers help ensure our clients are treated equally
Women and men in America are entitled to equal treatment. That’s not an opinion, it’s the law. The Bullman Law Firm, Attorney For Workers, Discrimination, Harassment, Retaliation, Sexual Harassment fights to stamp out sex discrimination. We handle sex discrimination cases in employment at the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) and in court, examples include:
- Unfair pay
- Unfair discipline
- Denied promotion
- Any other way you are mistreated in the terms and conditions of your employment because of your sex.
Advocating fair employment practices
While much progress has been made in establishing equality in the workplace, sex discrimination still occurs in many areas and in many ways. We represent clients who’ve suffered sex discrimination over issues such as:
- Benefits – Even though women tend to be more costly to insure, the law requires they be given equal access to healthcare.
- Hiring – In the past, women have complained about not being hired or promoted due to sex, but discrimination now seems specific to occupations and industries. For example, women suffer from discrimination in engineering, while men find it hard to get hired as secretaries or promoted to management in cosmetics. In either case, the discrimination violates state and federal law.
- Firing – When layoffs seem to disproportionately affect one sex, discrimination may be at play.
- Pay – A person’s sex cannot be a factor in determining his or her salary or wages.
- Pregnancy – Refusal to hire or make reasonable accommodations for a pregnant person (or one who might become pregnant) is considered discrimination under state and federal law.
- Promotion – If promotions seem to be going to employees of one sex, discrimination may be a factor.
- Sexual harassment – Perpetrating or tolerating this behavior is considered discrimination under state and federal law. Unwanted sexual conduct in the workplace is illegal if it is meant as a condition of employment or becomes so pervasive that it creates a hostile environment. The definition of sexual harassment is not sex-specific in regards to perpetrator or victim.
Contact our determined fighters for sex equality
To schedule a consultation to discuss your discrimination claim with The Bullman Law Firm, Attorney For Workers, Discrimination, Harassment, Retaliation, Sexual Harassment, call our Portland, Oregon office at 503-987-0000 or contact us online.